- The first thing you need to verify is that it’s the correct error. In this case, the error message that tells you that you need to update your WebConnector. Close out of the error screen, and then check the WebConnector version. If your version ends in .215 it’s the outdated version and you’ll need to download a new update.
- Close the WebConnector and check which version of QuickBooks you’re using. In this example we’re using version 2023, which is the WebConnector version we’ll be updating to. If you’re not using 2023, you can still download the correct version of the WebConnector for whatever version you have (we’ll cover that later).
- Then make sure your QB is closed down completely. To do that, open the Task Manager and make sure that QB is closed down in the Apps section as well as in Background Processes. You’ll need to scroll towards the bottom of the Background Processes in order to see where your QB file would be. The Background Processes you’ll need to close are “QuickBooks” and “QBWebConnector”, everything else is fine.
- Close out of the task manager and open your Programs from the start menu. Search “QB” which will bring up the WebConnector. If it doesn’t come up, search “web” to see if you can see it that way. If it still doesn’t come up, that means that you’re good to close that menu and go on to Step 5.
- If the WebConnector is still there, you’ll need to click on it then click “Uninstall”.
- If you receive an error message that says the file is still open or in use somewhere, it means the WebConnector wasn’t properly closed and you need to revisit step 4 and make sure you have the WebConnector closed everywhere.
- If the WebConnector isn’t showing in your task manager but the system is still telling you it’s open somewhere, restart your computer. Once your computer has been restarted, check for the WebConnector in your task manager one more time and then get it deleted.
- Open your computer’s search bar and search for this WebConnector app. You need to delete it. To do so, right click it then select the “Open file location” option.
- This will bring up that file’s location. Right click the WebConnector again and open file location again.
- This will take you to the actual folder that the WebConnector is located in. You’re going to click to the previous folder, QuickBooks. It’s highlighted in red in the following screenshot.
- Delete the “QBWebConnector” folder, highlighted in the screenshot below. If you have a “QBWebConnector 3.0” folder you can ignore it.
- Once that is done, you can download the updated WebConnector HERE. You can read up on the version of the WebConnector you’re going to install. This site has the correct WebConnector versions that correspond to whichever version of QB you’re using.
- If you’re using an older version than 2021, use the 2021 version of the WebConnector.
- Download the correct version for your version of QB. That file downloads as a zip file. Open your downloads folder, right click that zip file, and click “Extract All”.
- Once those files have been extracted and the folder looks normal, open it up and select “QBWebConnectorInstaller.exe” You’re going to right click that program and select the “Run as administrator” option and select yes on the pop up. This will install the new version of the WebConnector.
- Go through the installation wizard process. The installation may take several minutes and the progress bar might not show any progress at first. This is normal! It just takes some time to finish installing.
- Once the new WebConnector is installed go ahead and sign back into your QuickBooks account. MAKE SURE YOU’RE SIGNING IN AS AN ADMIN. Enter your QB admin password here.
- Give it a few minutes to load, then go ahead and open up the new version of the WebConnector by opening the File Tab > App Management > Update Web Services.
- *If you're using a Canadian version of QuickBooks, you'll open the web connector by going to Microsoft's search bar and searching for WebConnector.
- There may be a stall before the WebConnector opens, but it will eventually open.
- If you get an error message talking about a log file, simply press “OK” and continue.
- And you are good to run that new version of your WebConnector!
Chat with us by clicking on the busybusy icon in the bottom right corner!
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us: 855-287-9287